Friday, June 10, 2011

Trust Me. I'm the Doctor.

It was recently brought to my attention that I talk like I'm on crack about 85% of the time. Thank you mother.

I blame it on a combination of coffee and gusto. LUCKILY, I have found my fast-talking soul mate, and NO, it's not Brian. Sorry Brian.

It's Matt Smith, A.K.A. Doctor Who. I. Am. Obsessed. Here's why:



If you don't already know, Doctor Who is the longest-running sci-fi program in the world, and it rocks. Heed me. I usually do NOT like space "stuff" (aliens, space ship thingers, lasers, etc, with the exception of Wall-E and Stitch), but this show is so well done. I'm not an expert; I've only seen the Matt Smith seasons, and a few of the Christopher Eccleston episodes (which I liked less), but I've heard that the David Tennant episodes are snazzy and I'm willing to watch them, mostly because David Tennant=Barty Crouch Jr. Oooooo yeah.

Why is it good? The writing is phenomenal (at least from the seasons I've been watching...I watched two seasons in one week, I'm cool), and you're guaranteed to fall in love with the characters. When I watch it, I'm outraged at least half the time because I'm so worried about whatever happens to be trying to kill/eat them. And these writers are so smart-- they mix history in with art and science and magic and actually pull it off. I feel like some shows try to do it and end up making programs that only work if the audience is half-asleep. But this show is smart, and it expects its audience to be smart as well. There's a Churchill episode. There's one that plays on Bram Stoker's Dracula. There's a Nixon episode. And one of my favorites takes place in the life and mind of Van Gogh (played beautifully by Tony Curran):



The Van Gogh episode is gorgeous, and, to make me even more ecstatic, it guest-stars Bill Nighy as a doting tour guide at the Musée d'Orsay. Brian and I kept a book of Van Gogh's paintings in front of us while we watched it, because you could freeze almost any of the scenes, and there was a reference to one of them in it, if the entire scene itself wasn't a recreation.

The other great thing about the show is that it's often SCARY. One of the reasons I have trouble watching earlier seasons is because the special effects just aren't that good (the show used to operate on a super low budget), and they can't ever get the villains to scary-dude-status. But more recent seasons DO. Aside from the Tony Curran episode, The Time of Angels was probably my favorite episode, because it had me peeing my pants. Not really, but it freaked me out. Basic premise: A monster race of "Weeping Angels" that can't move if you're looking at them, but come at you as soon as you blink/look away. The Doctor and his groupies get tricked into a labyrinth FULL of them, and it's all flickering lights and dead people from there. Good stuff.



I recommend starting with the first of the Matt Smith episodes, and working your way up to date. Purist me wants to stay start from the beginning of the beginning, but I didn't do that--I started with a few Christopher Eccleston ones, as I said, and it almost made me quit altogether. Matt Smith will get you hooked though. Guarantee.

Annnnnnnd, here are some gems:
The Doctor: 'Course then they started having laws against self-marrying. I mean, what was that about?

Angel Bob: The Angels are feasting sir. Soon we'll be able to absorb enough power to consume this vessel, this world and all the stars and worlds beyond.
The Doctor: Well, we've got comfy chairs, did I mention?
Angel Bob: We have no need of comfy chairs.
The Doctor to Amy: I made him say "comfy chairs".

Rory to the Vampire-Piranha-Man: You big stupid great Spongebob...

Dream Lord: "Friends". Is that the right word for the people you acquire?

Van Gogh: It's color! Color that holds the key! I can hear the colors. Listen to them. Every time I step outside I feel nature is shouting at me. "Come on! Come and get me!" "Come on! Come on! Capture my mystery!"
The Doctor: Maybe you've had enough coffee now. How about some nice calming tea.

Craig: Is that a reference from the Archbishop of Canterbury?
The Doctor: I'm his special favorite. Shhhh.

Rory: You are so beautiful. I love your get-up. Oh, it's great. You should dress as a pirate more often. Hey, hey. Cuddle me, ship mate.

Idris: Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.



**UPDATE**
Ok, I've started watching the David Tennant episodes. They're good. Not as good as the Matt Smith ones, partly because I'm in love with Matt Smith and partly because Billie Piper annoys the pants off of me. But they're good. Hooray for 4 more years of Dr. Who.

No comments:

Post a Comment