Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Fever Ray- Who is the Alpha?

I listen to Fever Ray when I can't sleep. Insomnia is a small insanity, and I like it to feed it things only slightly stranger than I am. Fever Ray is Karin Elisabeth Dreijer Andersson, one half of the Swedish duo The Knife. She reminds me a little of Björk and a little of Kazu Makino of Blonde Redhead, but not much else.



"When I grow up, I want to live near the sea
Crab claws and bottles of rum
That’s what i’ll have staring at the seashell
Waiting for it to embrace me.

I put my soul in what I do
Last night I drew a funny man
with dark eyes and a hanging tongue
It goes way bad, I never liked a sad look
From someone who wants to be loved by you."

The videos and lyrics are gorgeous, but, visual aesthetics aside, there's something savage in the music. She's taking something very subtle and shoving it into our arms with videos like "When I Grow Up," but it doesn't spoil it. It's metallic like blood, a lot of it, and sweet like night flowers.





"The Wolf" was written for that sillygoose version of Little Red Riding Hood that came out a few months ago, but I just think it's dead-sexy (shout hhheeeeyyyyyyy if the beginning reminds you of the orgy theme from the second season of True Blood...).

"Keep the Streets Empty For Me" is the most beautiful new song I've heard in a while. The feeling is a little different from her other stuff, embracing melancholy instead of madness. It's a climactic ending, it's a walk alone at night. You can see your breath, it's love, and you're tripping:


It's just so darn good. Rock on insomniacs.

No comments:

Post a Comment