Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Poetry Wednesday

I/Badger

When, in the night
I am shaken from sleep by the sound of you
in the kitchen
making music with a pot, some spoons
(I know you cannot sleep
without, first, some noise)
This sound is beloved
and must be, like the badger that watches
you/
listens,
from the window, he’s stopped,
hunting;
he will bring no insects
back to his small den/his small-badger-children
only the smell of the cold
earth.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd, something not-mine that I love:

Hide
by Robin Robertson

I have been waiting for the black deer
all my life, hidden here in the dark
corner of the wood.
I see glimpses of them, breaking cover,
swinging away
to erase themselves in the deep trees.

They are implicit there, and will move
only if I hold still.
Though in a dream I have
they stand so near I can feel them breathing.
Then, when I look down
I have disappeared.

Out at the wood's edge, the snorts and coughs of the feeding herd.
A gust startles a lift of leaves, and they
scatter and bound like the far-off heads
of deer in the distance.
The wind drops and the trees are antlered.

No comments:

Post a Comment