Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Inked, At Long Last

So I finally gave in and got my first tattoo. It's just a little feather along my collarbone, but I'm really happy with it. If you've been reading from Little Houses all along, you know that I'm fascinated with tattoos, and with human-as-canvas, and it was probably only a matter of time until I settled on something permanent.



A friend in my grad program told me not to try and pick a design with a ton of personal meaning. He said I'd never be entirely happy with something so loaded, and that tattoos should be whims. He's got full sleeves on both arms, and they're awesome, so I listened to his advice.


Here's what I can say about my first tattoo experience:

1.) Don't get tattooed in a place where you're sun-burnt. It will sting more than it needs to, and your surly tattoo artist will make fun of you.
2.) Tattoos do not hurt nearly as much as nose piercings. Nose piercings require determination, and a post-piercing shot of whiskey.
3.) There's something really hilarious about being four tattoos behind your mother.


No comments:

Post a Comment