Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Ten Things I Have Learned About The Sea

I grew up on stories of selkies. If you cry seven tears into the sea, I was told, your selkie will appear. He'll (or, more traditionally, "she'll") shed his seal-skin and walk on land with you, and you will love each other. But he will stay on land only for as long as you can hide his skin, because even great love cannot compare to the lure of the sea. And to keep him, you have to live with his longing for it.

I love the sea. When I leave a beach, I usually weigh almost twice as much as normal...what with the 100+ pounds of seashells in my pockets. I love the too-much-sand and too-much-salt and too-much-sun-ness of it all. I love the way the sea smells and the way it sounds, and the way, as Lorenzo Fonda says in his video short, it's the greatest mirror; when you're happy, the sea seems happy. When you're sad, the sea seems sad.

ten things i have learned about the sea from lorenzo fonda on Vimeo.


Lorenzo Fonda, 2008

Someday I'll pick a direction and drive until I end up at the ocean.

P.S. Happy Day. I just got my acceptance to URochester's phD program. Doctorate in Art History, Here. I. Come.

No comments:

Post a Comment