Thursday, March 3, 2011

Lonesome Roads/Men Who Travel Them: James Vincent McMorrow

I fall in love with song writers. Every single day. I found James Vincent McMorrow by chance a few months ago, and I swear, he's about to be famous. Which makes me a little (or a lot) sad. Don't even get me started on Lissie.

Anyway, this guy is amazing. He recored his first record last winter in a lonely house by the sea, which makes perfect sense if you listen to it. His voice is soft and sad, heard through a fog, or something you imagined, warm and half-asleep. His lyrics are simple and sincere, but full of....something. Memory, or missing a friend. I feel like the entire album might be a love letter to someone, or to the idea of someone. It's hard to catch-hold of, like smoke or a dream. But I can't stop listening.



There's something really familiar about him too. He's got this bashful way of speaking, and a lovely Irish accent. He seems slightly awkward, slightly shy- he doesn't really like looking into the camera. I know boys like this. They go to Vassar, they sit near me in my Russian class...only I bet they can't sing for beans.



"If I Had a Boat" is one of my favorite songs of his. Listen to the words:

This is not the end
This is just the world
Such a foolish thing
Such an honest girl
And if I had a boat
I would sail to you
Hold you in my arms
Ask you to be true...

What else is there to say?

No comments:

Post a Comment