Thursday, March 24, 2011

There's No Place Like Home

It's strange how things and people and places you thought were in your past can creep up and return to you. I have't been home in a year, but right now all I want is to head north, take Exit 17 off the highway, and hug my best friend.

On Saturday another South High senior committed suicide, bringing the total number of tragic deaths in my hometown up to 8 in the past year and a half. I keep trying to rationalize it, to separate it from the place I'm in and the people I know now, but it keeps coming back. Karmically, I wish the kids who go there now could catch a break: on March 4, the school held its 34th Annual Marathon Dance, raising $326, 213.58 in one night for local charities and individuals in need. I danced in that Marathon for all four years I was there, and it remains one of the best things I've ever done. Those kids are golden, and I think they deserve a little goodness.

SHMD 2011 Web Promo from Joshua Jacobs on Vimeo.


(Check out more on Marathon Dance at shmd.org)

Right now my heart hurts for everyone in that town. Sending my love.

No comments:

Post a Comment